Theory and Application of Complex Networks
Due by the end of the term
There are two options. Do one of the following.
- Empirical network exploration: Download one of the network
or elsewhere. Prepare a brief, informal technical report or a slide
presentation which contains the following
You can work in pairs if you wish.
- Calculations of basic descriptive statistics: average path
length, average clustering coefficient, diameter
- The degree distribution, plotted as a histogram
- Several different visualizations of all or part of the network.
For each visualization, say what features of the nextwork you are
highlighting or emphasizing.
- Write one or two paragraphs about what you think is interesting
about the network.
- Write a few paragraphs proposing some further work concerning
the network. What question(s) could you ask of this data, and why
might the answer to those questions be interesting. Your proposal
could entail further analysis on the data and/or plans to gather
- Wikipedia writing: Write a new wikipedia entry or add some
new content to existing entries. You should aim to add around 500
words to wikipedia. What you write about should be at least loosely
related to the content of this course.